Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I LOVE TECHNOLOGY!

Originally posted October 5, 2006

There’s no substitute for experience! Sometimes no matter how much and how long you consider theory, it takes an ideological connection i.e. a mental integration which is spurred on by accidentally garnered happenstance to really drive a point home. That is, sometimes you just don’t see things for what they are until you trip and fall all over it!

Here’s a personal example:
For the past year or so, I have been dreading my work situation, and I’m by no means completely “out of the woods” yet. Still, I clearly improved my life by methodically taking action, and even before “the penny has dropped” I can see that things have irrefrangibly changed for the better. For whatever reasons, one of the problems I’ve had to face in my career involves my health. Everyone knows procrastination is bad, but reality has a way of making that point clear!

I got to a point where I had to quit my job, and I have absolutely no regrets about that, but one of the things I had failed to attend to was an urgent medical matter. Long story short, I managed to visit a doctor,and in a course of hardly 2 hours, he: 1) had tests performed, 2) diagnosed the problem, and 3) offered a short-term solution while acknowledging the long-term circumstances.

The bottom line is that at a few weeks later I can’t help but really appreciate how important this medical visit was. I don’t generally regret how I handled my work situation, but I have to admit that if I got medical attention sooner I would have worked those last few months with less attendant pain.

I could write a whole other post on what might go into making the solution (albeit a temporary one) even possible to exist in our society. Nevertheless, it is _extremely_ sobering to go through this experience. That is, I witnessed an expert at work, and then I bore the benefits of that expertise. The kicker is that this quickly delivered solution costs only a few hundred dollars in American currency. Honestly, I wasn’t expecting things to work out so quickly or so affordably, and I’ve experienced similar efforts several years before. It’s still been heartening, and this is all in spite of the sheer onslaught of regulatory insanity that medical practitioners have to endure. (Just go to www.afcm.org, and read the materials if you doubt the risk that future medical practice will involve.)

I really wanted to take this further, but I am up late at night trying to calm myself so that I can start a new job which I can now tackle WITHOUT PAIN thanks to my doctor!

If there were anything I would want anyone to consider about health care today, then it’s this: You have NO IDEA how much your medical practitioners have to go through just to provide you with decent care. If you are not in the profession, then you would most likely think twice about trying to work in a profession with that related magnitude of bureaucratic entanglement.

No comments: